A massive ‘thank you’ to everyone who attended our conference. The programme is reproduced below. We will continue updating this space with photographs, recordings, and information.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about other pageant events.
Unless otherwise specified, all events will take place at the School of English, Kennedy Hall on The Scores. Directions available in the Conference Google Map.
Follow the conference on Twitter #20thcentpageants and @ptgordon25. Please contact the conference organiser, Parker T. Gordon (email@example.com) with any questions.
10:00 Check in (with tea and coffee)
10:45 Keynote Address from Professor Paul Readman (King’s College London): ‘Historical Pageants in Britain, 1905-2020: Identity, Community and the Performance of the Past’
11:45 Historical Pageant Materials Exhibition at the University Special Collections Martyr’s Kirk Library
12:30 Catered Lunch
13:45 Panel: Modernist Writers and the Pageant Genre in Novels and Poetry: Virginia Woolf, T. S. Eliot, Charles Williams, and W. H. Auden
- Josh Phillips (University of Glasgow): Woolf’s Wartime Pageant for Peace: Between the Acts, ‘Anon’ and ‘The Reader,’ and the Staging of Literary History
- Tom Poynor (University of St Andrews): The Heavenly Pageant of Descent into Hell
- Isobel Montgomery Campbell (Martin Shaw Trust): The Business of Art: The Making of The Rock and Judgement at Chelmsford
15:15 Martin Shaw: From the Church to the Theatre: Free Public Concert of Martin Shaw’s Pageant Play Music at the St Leonard’s Chapel
16:10 Round Table Discussion
- Dr Angela Bartie (University of Edinburgh)
- Parker T. Gordon (University of St Andrews)
16:50 Closing Remarks
Professor Paul Readman (King’s College London), and Dr Angela Bartie (University of Edinburgh) are both researchers for the pageant database The Redress of the Past.